Is there a way to prevent a Head Lice infestation?
In short the answer is NO, but there are some preventative measures that you can take to minimize the risk of an infestation, and whilst getting a dose of head lice is not necessarily life threatening, it is very uncomfortable and in convenient.
The good news is that Head lice can’t fly and they can’t jump from head to head, they literally have to crawl across, and heads must be touching for a while for this to happen, so if you know head lice are about, avoid getting so close.
Here are some other preventative measures that you can take:
- A weekly combing and inspection to identify new lice quickly.
- Talk to your children about head lice, how they are spread and how to prevent an infestation from happening.
- Make sure that you as the parent understand the schools Head Lice policy and seek assurance that you’ll get notification of an outbreak of Head Lice straight away.
- Don’t swap hats or share scarves with other people.
- Try not to jam your coat in between other coats on a coat rack, instead hang it on the back of a chair.
- If you detect an infestation take immediate action to get rid of them.
Getting Head Lice is not really a big deal and Head Lice Treatments are easy to come by. An infestation has nothing to do with cleanliness or hygiene, and they can be a nuisance to children of all ages and all backgrounds, no matter how often –or not-they clean their hair.